All posts by Sarah Lockett

Metal thieves got more than they bargained for in asbestos contaminated roofspace

Four Perthshire men may have got more than a truckful of valuable scrap when they decided to strip a barn in Blairgowrie of its steel beams: they also probably got several lungfuls of deadly asbestos fibres.

The gang of four did £80,000 worth of damage to the farm building removing the 20 or 30 beams according to the Perthshire Advertiser but also had to receive decontamination treatment after being caught in the act.

Ring leader Steven Cameron, who ended up with a £225 fine, was told by the court, “It seems inevitable you were going to be caught, if not red-handed then immediately afterwards. What’s more worrying is that you have found yourself in a situation where you damaged a building and it would cost £80,000 to repair.

“Even more significant than that is that you have undoubtedly exposed yourself to asbestos.
I understand that the contamination effect is a one-shot deal. All you require is one exposure in your lifetime and it can have very grave consequences for your health.”

DIY reality shows put people at risk by ignoring asbestos awareness

the-renovatorsAccording to a report in the Herald Sun, increasingly-popular shows like The Block and The Renovators fail to warn about the dangers of asbestos even though many of the homes featured in the shows must contain some level of contamination.

Australian senator Lisa Singh has called for the shows to ‘grow a corporate conscience’ and educate viewers on the proper way to deal with asbestos in the home.

“These shows have an obligation to tell people that asbestos can be found in fibro sheeting, water, drain and flue pipes,” she said.

“No one wants to see a spike in the diagnosis of asbestos-related disease in 20-plus years and have it attributed to the craze of DIY home renovation.

“These shows have a captive audience, and high ratings, so why not be a good corporate citizen and do the right thing?”

A spokesman for the show’s production company said, A Nine spokesman said: “We understand the dangers are real. As a result we will address the safety issues and assist in educating the Australian public.”

Birmingham builder fined £2,400 for asbestos contamination

Handyman William Rogers found himself in court recently after releasing asbestos fibres whilst refurbishing a Solihull kitchen.

Inspectors from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found Rogers, a carpenter and general handyman, had removed partition walls containing asbestos insulating board at the premises in Masons Way, Olton, on 27 January 2011.

Solihull Magistrates’ Court heard Mr Rogers had wrongly assumed he was dealing with asbestos cement, which does not require specialist contractors to remove it, and went ahead with the job. As a result, both he and the tenant, who has asked not to be named, were potentially exposed to asbestos dust.

Rogers spread asbestos debris in the kitchen and on the communal stairs and loaded the removed pieces of asbestos insulating board into his car. By law it should have been disposed of by an approved carrier of asbestos waste.

The incident was discovered when a licensed asbestos removal contractor, who was working elsewhere in the building, spotted pieces of asbestos outside and alerted the HSE. The court heard the area and Mr Rogers’ car had to be decontaminated.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE principal inspector Jo Anderson said: “Tradespeople are highly likely to come across asbestos at some point in their career. They must make sure they are properly trained so that they can identify it and know what to do next.

“If they have not checked what kind of asbestos is present and they have not been trained to work with asbestos, they must not start work.

“The landlord had told William Rogers that the walls contained asbestos, yet he went ahead with the refurbishment without carrying out any checks. The tenant now has to live with the knowledge that he is at risk of developing a serious lung disease in years to come through no fault of his own.

“It is against the law for anyone to remove asbestos insulating board without a licence. Mr Rogers should never have disturbed this material, and he left a significant amount of asbestos debris in the building.

“It is fortunate that a licensed contractor alerted us to the incident on the day and as a result the contamination was dealt with promptly.”

Rogers pleaded guilty today to breaching Regulation 5 and Regulation 11(1)(a) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006.

He was fined £600 and ordered to pay £1,799 costs.

Kate and Wills will have to wait for asbestos removal before moving into their new home

kate-willsThe Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will have to wait up to a year before moving into their new Kensington pad because the remodelling programme they are planning involves the removal of asbestos according to The Mesothelioma Center.

The asbestos is believed to have been installed during the last major renovation to Kensington Palace which took place in the 1960s

A spokesman told People Magazine, “Early indications suggest that large quantities of asbestos will have to be removed, as well as work on the heating and hot water systems and electrical wiring. The extent of the work needed to turn the apartment back into a home is not yet known.”

Canada branded ‘Purveyor of Death’ over asbestos exports

asbestos-mineA Canadian health expert has blasted his own country branding it a ‘purveyor of death because it is planning to export asbestos to India.

Although the use of asbestos is all but banned in Canada and many other developed nations, the Canadian government is planning to reopen a Quebec mine tripling the country’s production of Chrysotile, also known as white asbestos.

According to Australia’s ABC News, health experts are warning that the asbestos trade with India will lead to an ‘epidemic of deaths’ in decades to come.

Ottawa University Professor Amir Attaran said, “It amounts to Canada being a purveyor of death around the world. Our country is an exporter of a deadly substance and we enjoy it – at least our federal government does.”

India’s use of Chrysotile in the construction industry is growing alarmingly despite the health implications. Many believe that a lack of modern medical facilities mean that many asbestos-related deaths go undiagnosed and unreported.

Blackburn beauty spot becomes illegal asbestos dump

delph-hill

Fly tippers used bolt croppers to gain access to a farm track close to Delph Hill Reservoir near Blackburn where they dumped 20 tonnes of waste contaminated with asbestos according to The Citizen.

The two lorry loads of rubbish, which contained rubble from a demolition site as well as the asbestos waste, cost the council more than a £1,000 to clean up.

United Utilities, the company which removed the waste, says it is hoping to find evidence of the source of the contamination by inspecting the materials removed from the site.